I finally fixed my issue with my local DNS issue with my Xubuntu laptop. A little back story on this issue. I use a couple of Pi-Holes as my networks’ DNS servers. This is mainly to block ads and to serve as my internal DNS server for my services such as Jellyfin, LibreNMS, netbox, etc.
Normally, I would modify the file
/etc/resolv.conf and add the Pi-Holes’ IP addresses. However, this does not work with Xubuntu. If I modify the
/etc/resolv.conf file, it would revert back to the original state after coming from hibernate or sleep. Therefore, if I typed in http://jellyfin:8096 on the URL field, the page would simply timeout. If I enter
host jellyfin in the terminal, it would tell me the IP address of my Jellyfin server. I didn’t have this issue with elementary OS or with CentOS and Debian servers.
I resolved my issue by installing resolvconf and adding my DNS servers’ IP addresses to
Install the resolvconf
sudo apt install -y resolvconf
Edit the file named
/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head and just add them nameservers as shown below
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
# 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
# run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual nameservers.
Then start the resolvconf.
sudo systemctl start resolvconf
That’s pretty much it. Cheers!